Veneers can be a boon to patients who need cosmetic dental uplift. They are wafer-thin pieces of ceramic that are bonded to the frontal surface of the teeth, thereby enhancing their appearance and functionality. Our dentists widely use veneers to treat teeth that are chipped, cracked, misshapen, badly discolored, etc.
Why are veneers highly preferred?
- Veneers are made from a highly durable ceramic material that doesn't wear much. With proper care, veneers can last for several years together.
- Veneers behave quite similar to natural enamel. They would stay as good as new with proper brushing and flossing without losing their lustre.
- The ceramic material can be customized to match the exact appearance of your natural teeth. The color, texture, and translucency of the veneer can be made similar to that of the adjoining teeth.
- Whenever a tooth has suffered a crack or minor chipping, it stands the risk of failing due to structural defects. By bonding veneers to its surface, the structure of the tooth can be held intact.
Uses of veneers
- Chipped teeth: When the mouth takes a high-impact blow during a bad fall or a sports injury, the teeth could lose a certain edge and become misshapen. It can ruin the smile's aesthetics and expose the root canal to the microbes in the mouth. Such out-of-shape teeth can be restored to their original form using veneers.
- Cracked teeth: Though the enamel is a hard substance, it could crack under extreme forces. When the crack is left untreated, it could become more prominent and cause tooth failure. Bonding a veneer to its surface can cover up the crack and prevent tooth failure.
- Discolored teeth: Most often, teeth staining can be reversed using teeth whitening. But, when the extent of staining is severe, or the tooth's color has changed permanently due to infections, a veneer can be bonded to its surface to enhance its appearance.
- Excessive spacing:When the patient has a wider dental arch, the teeth tend to emerge spaced too far apart from each other. It is a type of malocclusion and can also be treated by orthodontic appliances. However, veneers can be used to get rid of the excessive spaces between them in a simpler way.
How are veneers bonded?
Veneers are customized restorations that are fabricated according to the contour required. But, before going ahead with the procedure, an initial screening process has to be completed. During this, the teeth will be checked for cavities, tartar accumulation, discoloration, gum diseases, receding of gum tissues, etc. Once the candidacy is confirmed, we can go ahead with taking the digital impressions of the tooth.
Scans and x-rays of the teeth will be taken. The data will be sent to a dental laboratory, where the veneer will be fabricated from high-quality ceramic. It will be done within a few days, after which your teeth will be prepared for the restoration. It will be cleaned thoroughly and roughened using an etching solution. The veneer will be placed on the tooth and checked for fit, after which it will be permanently bonded using dental adhesives. A bite test will be done to make sure the veneer fits perfectly.
Please request an appointment online or call us at 507-387-2255 and a member of our staff will be happy to help you.