Malocclusion is one of the leading oral concerns and has been quite significant for as long as one could remember. It is primarily the misalignment of the teeth, which ruins the smile's appearance and leads to a few other oral conditions as well. Orthodontics is a specialized branch of dentistry that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of misaligned teeth.
Invisalign is the new age orthodontic solution highly recommended by dentists to treat malocclusion. It is made from clear plastic material, which enables it to stay less distinguishable when you put it on. With Invisalign, you wouldn't have to hide your smile during the orthodontic treatment, as in the case of dental braces.
Why should orthodontic treatment be considered?
- Misaligned teeth often make it very tricky to brush and floss. Even after a thorough brushing, a significant number of microbes could be left behind on the teeth as the toothbrush bristles may not be able to reach the remote corners. It can promote the formation of cavities.
- As the teeth wouldn't be of the same length, a few teeth may endure excessive stress than the remaining ones when you bite and chew food. It can result in teeth displacement and unequal wear.
- Severe malocclusion can cause pain in the jaws, neck, and shoulders as it could affect the TMJ.
- Malocclusion leaves a displeasing appearance on the smile. Individuals with misaligned teeth may find it embarrassing to smile or talk in front of a crowd, which may hinder their self-confidence.
Is Invisalign better than other orthodontic aligners?
- The most significant advantage of choosing Invisalign is that it is aesthetically pleasing. Unlike conventional metal braces or other aligners, Invisalign would hardly be visible as it is fabricated from clear plastic.
- The technology backing Invisalign is highly advanced. Mapping the teeth, aligning them, creating a simulation of the bite, determining the severity of malocclusion, making the aligners, etc., is done without hassle. Dr. Vose will help you get a clear idea of how your smile would look once the treatment period is completed.
- The aligners are entirely metal-free. It drastically reduces the chances of sustaining oral injuries due to the aligners, as there are no brackets or sharp corners that could harm you.
- You may remove Invisalign when you have to eat food, brush your teeth, or during necessary situations, such as playing outdoor sports.
Usage of Invisalign
Invisalign treatment will be divided into several treatment phases, depending on the severity of the malocclusion. Dr. Vose will hand you a set of aligners for each stage of the treatment, which usually lasts for two weeks each. The aligners should be worn for at least 22 hours every day, as it is required to move the teeth to their orthodontically right positions. It is essential you practice optimum oral hygiene during the treatment course, as it keeps the progress on track and prevents any complications.
Please request an appointment online or call us at 507-387-2255 and a member of our staff will be happy to help you.